Occasionally, you may qualify for a Live Conversation. If you sign up for a Live Conversation you will schedule a live online meeting with a UserTesting customer. On the day of your Live Conversation you’ll use your computer to connect to an online conferencing tool called Zoom. The customer may ask you to complete a set of tasks, observe your screen, or ask you questions. Because there are extra steps that you need to go through in order to take a Live Conversation, payment is typically more than the average test. This article will help you get started with Live Conversation, and hopefully answer any questions you might have!
- Time. You must have time available to complete a Live Conversation. You must arrive around 5 minutes before your scheduled time. If you show up late or cancel within 24hrs you will be rated 1 star and will not be paid.
- Honesty. If we or a customer find that you did not truthfully answer the screener you will automatically receive 1 star, your payment will be canceled, and you may be removed from the panel.
- An email address Information and reminders for the Live Conversation will be sent to you via email. Please check your email regularly.
- Zoom You must download and install Zoom before your session. You DO NOT need to sign up for an account. For help, please go to our Zoom FAQ.
- A webcam Some customers may ask you to share your webcam. Always be prepared to share your face. If you don’t want to share your webcam, do not take a Live Conversation.
Step-by-Step: Getting and Scheduling a Live Conversation
First you’ll see a Live Conversation on your dashboard. Make sure you qualify, pay attention to the requirements and take the screener.
In addition to the screener, you’ll be asked if you are okay with sharing your webcam. If you are not, you should not schedule a Live Conversation.
If you pass the screener and agree to share your webcam, you’ll be asked to schedule your Live Conversation.
Pick the time slot most convenient for you. You’ll be asked to show up at least 10 minutes early, so make sure you have ample time to complete the Live Conversation on that date and time. If you don’t see a time that works for you, select “I’m not available during these times”. Do not schedule your Live Conversation when you know you are not available.
Once you are confident in the slot you selected, click “Submit Availability.” You are now confirmed for a Live Conversation.
Your scheduled Live Conversation will stay at the top of your dashboard until it is time to join the session. You can check your dashboard for when your Live Conversation is going to take place. You’ll also receive a set of emails detailing when your session takes place and what you’ll need to do to prepare.
Set yourself a reminder! Put the date and time of your scheduled Live Conversation in your calendar and be prepared to arrive at least 5 minutes early. If you are late or don’t show up you will be rated 1 star.
On the day of your Live Conversation a “Join Test” button will appear on your dashboard. Join the session 5 minutes before it is scheduled to begin.
When you click “Join Test” your Zoom application will launch. You will get to enter your name. Since the customer can see your name, we recommend using your first name only or your UserTesting username. To learn more about Zoom please check our Zoom FAQ.
Your webcam will open as soon as you launch Zoom. Be prepared to be on camera. You should also hide any windows or files on your desktop that you don’t want seen in case the customer wants you to share your screen.
Next you’ll need to select your mic and speakers. You can test them during this part. We recommend using a headset for the best results.
The customer may join before or after you join the meeting. Be ready to talk to them and follow their instructions.
If you’re having trouble setting up or need help, you can contact support via the chat button on your dashboard. You should always contact support if the customer asks you to share something you are not comfortable with and you weren’t warned perviously in the screener or requirements. This can be something like credit card info, your email, your full name, etc.
After your 30 or 60 minute Live Conversation is over, please leave the meeting and return to your dashboard.
During your Live Conversation your dashboard will be on the “Test in Progress” page. Once your session is complete it may take a few minutes before you can view the Available Tests Tab.
How long will a Live Conversation take?
A Live Conversation will take 30 or 60 minutes. When you sign up for a Live Conversation, you’ll see how long the session will be. Be sure to have an extra 5 minutes to set up before your Live Conversation.
When should you arrive for your Live Conversation?
You should join your Live Conversation 5 minutes BEFORE your session begins to allow time for troubleshooting and setup. For example, if your Live Converation begins at 11:00 AM, you should join at 10:55 AM.
How to cancel your Live Conversation
To cancel your Live Conversation, use the cancel link under your scheduled session on your dashboard at least 24 hours before your scheduled time.
Will your rating be affected for canceling a Live Conversation?
If you give us proper notice (24 hours or more), your rating will not be affected. However, failure to attend or not giving enough notice will result in an automatic 1 star rating.
Why are we so strict with cancellations?
Live Conversations take a lot of time and effort to coordinate and schedule. The customer has scheduled time out of their busy day in order to get your awesome feedback. If you cancel less than 24 hours ahead of your session time, there will not be enough time to find another participant and slows down the customer's project.
What if I discover I don’t qualify for the study?
Cancel your Live Conversation. If we or a customer find that you did not truthfully answer the screener, you will automatically receive 1 star, your payment will be canceled, and you may be removed from the panel.
Who will you talk to when you join?
You will speak directly to the customer. They may or may not already be online when you join, but be prepared to speak directly to the customer.
When will we see your webcam during a Live Conversation?
Your webcam will open as soon as you join the meeting. Be prepared before you join the meeting and make sure you don’t have anything on camera that you don’t want recorded.
What will we see when you share your screen?
Once you share your screen, we will be able to see what is on your primary monitor. That may include your desktop, any icons on your desktop, and any programs or files that you have open on your screen. Please be sure to close or minimize any confidential information/windows before sharing your screen. You should not reveal any information during a session that you do not want recorded.
What will we record during the Live Conversation?
During a Live Conversation, your webcam and the conversation taking place will be recorded. If the customer asks, your screen may also be recorded.
What if I need help?
If you need help during a Live Conversation you can contact support with the chat button on your dashboard. This is why it’s important to join early. If you’re having trouble with Zoom you can chat in for help.
What if I don’t show up?
If you do not show up after 10 minutes, you will be rated 1 star and you will not be eligible for payment.
What if the customer doesn’t show up?
If the customer doesn’t show up after 10 minutes, please contact support and report a problem. You will earn partial payment for your time.
Why does my dashboard still say “test in progress”?
Once you complete your Live Conversation it may take up to 30 minutes or longer to process and upload your video. Especially if your session was over 60 minutes long. Your dashboard will be on the "Test in Progress" page while you wait. It may be a while before you can view new tests on the Available Tests Tab.
When will the payment for your Live Conversation show up on your dashboard?
Payment for a Live Conversation will appear on your dashboard within 7 days of completing your session.
How much will I be paid for a Live Conversation?
Because there are extra steps that you need to go through in order to take a Live Conversation, payment is typically $30 for 30 minutes and $60 for 60 minutes. If you show up late, your payment may be reduced. If you completely miss the session and did not give 24 hrs cancellation notice, your payment will be voided, you will receive a 1 star rating, and you may be removed from the panel.
How can I get a high rating on a Live Conversation?
- Be available. Keep an eye on your inbox, in case there are updates. Don’t sign up for a Live Conversation if your schedule is tight. If something is preventing you from joining a session, send an email to the person you’ve been communicating with or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be patient. You or the moderator may hit some technical glitches when sharing your audio and video. This doesn't happen often but, if it does, we appreciate your patience and flexibility. You can also always reach out to support via the chat button on your dashboard if you need help.
- Be honest. A Live Conversation will earn you more money than you make with an usual test, and it’s tempting to misrepresent yourself in order to take part in the study. Avoid that temptation. A Live Conversation is more time consuming for both you and the customer. If you don’t truly qualify for the Live Conversation you won't get paid, will receive a 1-star rating, and may be removed from the panel.
- Be prepared. Don’t be afraid to reach out with questions or concerns if anything is unclear to you.
- Be considerate. We know that you are probably on a personal computer. Be sure to hide or minimize any sensitive materials on your screen, and consider using an “incognito” window or an alternate browser to keep your browsing history private.