A Live Conversation is an exciting opportunity to provide feedback to a UserTesting customer in real-time. On the day of your scheduled Live Conversation, you’ll use your computer to connect to a customer through an online video-conferencing tool called Zoom. The customer may ask you to complete a set of tasks, share your screen, or answer questions.
Since there are extra steps that you need to go through in order to take a Live Conversation, these tests pay more than the average test. This article will help familiarize you with the Live Conversation process for desktop computers.
If you've been selected to complete a Live Conversation Mobile Interview, learn more here.
1. How long will a Live Conversation take?
2. When should you arrive for your Live Conversation?
3. How do you join a Live Conversation?
4. How to cancel your Live Conversation
5. Will your rating be affected for canceling a Live Conversation?
6. Why are we so strict with cancellations?
7. What if I discover I don’t qualify for the study?
8. Who will you talk to when you join?
9. When will we see your webcam during a Live Conversation?
10. What will we see when you share your screen?
11. What will we record during the Live Conversation?
12. What if I don’t show up?
13. What if the customer doesn’t show up?
14. I finished the Live Conversation. Why does my dashboard still say “interview in progress”?
15. When will the payment for your Live Conversation show up on your dashboard?
16. How much will I be paid for a Live Conversation?
17. How can I get a high rating on a Live Conversation?
- Time: You must have time available to complete a Live Conversation. Please only reserve tests when it’s convenient for you. We ask that you do not skip work or miss an appointment to attend a Live Conversation.
- Honesty. If we or a customer find that you did not truthfully answer the screeners, you will automatically receive 1 star, your payment will be canceled, and you may be removed from the UserTesting Panel.
- An email address Information and reminders for the Live Conversation will be sent to you via email. Please check your email regularly.
- Zoom You must download and install Zoom before your session. You DO NOT need to sign up for an account. For help, please go to our Zoom FAQ.
- A webcam Some customers may ask you to share your webcam. Always be prepared to share your face. If you don’t want to share your webcam, do not take a Live Conversation.
A Live Conversation will take 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes. When you sign up for a Live Conversation, you’ll see how long the session will be on your dashboard and in the confirmation and reminder emails you receive. Be sure to have an extra 15 minutes to set up before your Live Conversation.
You should join your Live Conversation at least 15 minutes BEFORE your session begins to allow time for troubleshooting and setup. For example, if your Live Conversation begins at 11:00 AM, you should join at 10:45 AM.
Once your Live Conversation is confirmed, you'll receive an email. That email contains a reminder that we suggest adding to your calendar.
3. How do you join a Live Conversation?
To join a desktop Live Conversation, click the "Join Test" button from your dashboard. This button appears 15 minutes before your scheduled start time.
To join a mobile Live Conversation, tap the "Join Interview" button in your reminder email on your mobile device. This will take you through a tutorial to set up for your mobile interview, and then bring you to a page where you can join the interview.
To learn more about Mobile Live Conversations, click here.
To cancel your Live Conversation, use the cancel link under your scheduled session on your dashboard at least 24 hours before your scheduled time.
If you give us proper notice (24 hours or more), your rating will not be affected. However, failure to attend a scheduled Live Conversation, or not giving enough notice will result in an automatic 1 star rating.
Live Conversations take a lot of time and effort to coordinate and schedule. The customer has scheduled time out of their busy day in order to get your awesome feedback. If you cancel less than 24 hours ahead of your session time, there will not be enough time to find another participant and slows down the customer's project.
Cancel your Live Conversation. If we or a customer find that you did not truthfully answer the screener, you will automatically receive 1 star, your payment will be canceled, and you will no longer receive test invitations.
You will speak directly to the customer, but they may have colleagues or researchers join the session to observe as well. They may or may not already be online when you join, but be prepared to speak directly to the customer.
Depending on your Zoom settings, your webcam may open as soon as you join the meeting. Be prepared before you join the meeting and make sure you don’t have anything on camera that you don’t want recorded.
NOTE: To update your settings so that your webcam defaults to "off" when you join a meeting, navigate to the Video tab of your Preferences or Settings and select the check box next to "Turn off my video when joining a meeting".
Once you share your desktop screen, we will be able to see what is on your primary monitor. That may include your desktop, any icons on your desktop, and any programs or files that you have open on your screen. On a mobile device, your screen, open apps, and any icons you have on it may be recorded.
Please be sure to close or minimize any confidential information/windows before sharing your screen. You should not reveal any information during a session that you do not want recorded.
Before accepting a Live Conversation test, you must agree to the following screener:
Your webcam and the conversation taking place will be recorded. If the customer asks, your screen may also be recorded.
NOTE: If you are logged into a Zoom account, the name associated with that account will be displayed in the recording. Click here to learn how to edit your Zoom Profile Name. In order to protect your privacy, we ask that you use your first name only or your UserTesting username since the customer (and whoever the customer chooses to share the recording with) will be able to see this.
If you do not show up after 10 minutes from the scheduled start time, you will no longer be able to join the meeting. Our Quality Team automatically investigates these cases. If you fail to attend a scheduled Live Conversation and did not cancel at least 24 hours in advance, you will be given a 1-star rating and will not be paid.
Our customers count on you to attend each Live Conversation test. They have set aside time in their calendar and are eager to hear your insight. When you do not attend a scheduled test, it is difficult to fill the vacant time slot in a short period of time.
Please note that continued failures to participate in scheduled Live Conversation tests without giving us at least 24 hours notice will result in removal from the panel.
If the customer doesn’t show up after 10 minutes, please contact support via this form. You will be compensated for your time.
In certain circumstances, a customer will need to cancel or reschedule a Live Conversation session. If they provide more than 24 hours notice, we will not be able to compensate you for your time. If the customer cancels less than 24 hours before the scheduled start time, you will receive compensation in the amount of $20 USD for the inconvenience.
To end a Live Conversation, click the red "Leave" button in the Zoom interface. If you and the customer did not take the full amount of time scheduled for the Live Conversation, you may see an "interview in progress" message.
If you're done speaking with the customer, click the red "Leave Interview" button to end your interview. If you need to rejoin your interview for any reason, click the blue "Rejoin Interview" button.
Once you click "Leave Interview", you'll see a confirmation message asking if you're sure you want to leave. Clicking the red "Leave" button will take you back to your test feed, so make sure to only click this button if you are done speaking with the customer.
Payment for a Live Conversation will appear on your dashboard within 7 days of completing your session.
Payments for Live Conversations are as follows:
- $30 for 30 minutes
- $60 for 60 minutes
- $90 for 90 minutes
- $120 for 120 minutes
If you do not attend a scheduled session and did not cancel from your dashboard at least 24 hours in advance, your payment will be canceled and you will receive a 1 star rating.
- Be available. Keep an eye on your inbox, in case there are updates. Don’t sign up for a Live Conversation if your schedule is tight. If something is preventing you from joining a session, send an email to the person you’ve been communicating with or contact Support.
- Be patient. You or the moderator may hit some technical glitches when sharing your audio and video. This doesn't happen often but, if it does, we appreciate your patience and flexibility. You can also always reach out to support via the chat button on your dashboard if you need help.
- Be honest. A Live Conversation will earn you more money than you make with a standard test, and it’s tempting to misrepresent yourself in order to take part in the study. Avoid that temptation. A Live Conversation is more time consuming for both you and the customer. If you don’t truly qualify for the Live Conversation you won't get paid, will receive a 1-star rating, and will no longer receive test invitations.
- Be prepared. Don’t be afraid to reach out with questions or concerns if anything is unclear to you. Please read all available documentation beforehand. Knowing how to join the Live Conversation and use Zoom will make everything run smoothly.
- Be considerate. We know that you are probably on a personal computer or mobile device. Be sure to hide or minimize any sensitive materials on your screen, and consider using an “incognito” window or an alternate browser to keep your browsing history private.