Occasionally, you may qualify for a Live Conversation. If you sign up for a Live Conversation you will schedule a live online meeting with a UserTesting customer. On the day of your Live Conversation you’ll use your computer to connect to an online conferencing tool called Zoom. The customer may ask you to complete a set of tasks, observe your screen, or ask you questions. Because there are extra steps that you need to go through in order to take a Live Conversation, payment is typically more than the average test. This article will help you get started with Live Conversation, and hopefully answer any questions you might have.
If you've been selected to complete a Live Conversation Mobile Interview, learn more here.
- Time. You must have time available to complete a Live Conversation. You must arrive around 15 minutes before your scheduled time. If you do not attend, show up late, or cancel without appropriate notice (at least 24 hrs before), you will be rated 1 star and will not be paid.
- Honesty. If we or a customer find that you did not truthfully answer the screeners, you will automatically receive 1 star, your payment will be canceled, and you may be removed from our panel.
- An email address Information and reminders for the Live Conversation will be sent to you via email. Please check your email regularly.
- Zoom You must download and install Zoom before your session. You DO NOT need to sign up for an account. For help, please go to our Zoom FAQ.
- A webcam Some customers may ask you to share your webcam. Always be prepared to share your face. If you don’t want to share your webcam, do not take a Live Conversation.
A Live Conversation will take 30 or 60 minutes. When you sign up for a Live Conversation, you’ll see how long the session will be. Be sure to have an extra 15 minutes to set up before your Live Conversation.
You should join your Live Conversation at least 15 minutes BEFORE your session begins to allow time for troubleshooting and setup. For example, if your Live Conversation begins at 11:00 AM, you should join at 10:45 AM.
Once your Live Conversation is confirmed, you'll receive an email. That email contains a reminder that we suggest adding to your calendar.
To cancel your Live Conversation, use the cancel link under your scheduled session on your dashboard at least 24 hours before your scheduled time.
Will your rating be affected for canceling a Live Conversation?
If you give us proper notice (24 hours or more), your rating will not be affected. However, failure to attend or not giving enough notice will result in an automatic 1 star rating.
Live Conversations take a lot of time and effort to coordinate and schedule. The customer has scheduled time out of their busy day in order to get your awesome feedback. If you cancel less than 24 hours ahead of your session time, there will not be enough time to find another participant and slows down the customer's project.
Cancel your Live Conversation. If we or a customer find that you did not truthfully answer the screener, you will automatically receive 1 star, your payment will be canceled, and you may be removed from the panel.
You will speak directly to the customer, but they may have colleagues or researchers join the session to observe as well. They may or may not already be online when you join, but be prepared to speak directly to the customer.
Depending on your Zoom settings, your webcam may open as soon as you join the meeting. Be prepared before you join the meeting and make sure you don’t have anything on camera that you don’t want recorded.
NOTE: To update your settings so that your webcam defaults to "off" when you join a meeting, navigate to the Video tab of your Preferences or Settings and select the check box next to "Turn off my video when joining a meeting".
Once you share your desktop screen, we will be able to see what is on your primary monitor. That may include your desktop, any icons on your desktop, and any programs or files that you have open on your screen. On a mobile device, your screen, open apps, and any icons you have on it may be recorded.
Please be sure to close or minimize any confidential information/windows before sharing your screen. You should not reveal any information during a session that you do not want recorded.
During a Live Conversation, your webcam and the conversation taking place will be recorded. If the customer asks, your screen may also be recorded.
If you need help during a Live Conversation desktop session, you can contact support via the chat button on your dashboard. This is why it’s important to join early. If you’re having trouble with Zoom, you can chat in for help.
If you do not show up after 10 minutes, you will be rated 1 star and you will not be eligible for payment.
If the customer doesn’t show up after 10 minutes, please contact support via chat and report a problem. You will be compensated for your time.
In certain circumstances, a customer will need to cancel or reschedule a Live Conversation session. If they provide more than 24 hours notice, we will not be able to compensate you for your time. If the customer cancels less than 24 hours before the scheduled start time, you will receive compensation ($30) for your time.
Once you complete your Live Conversation it may take up to 30 minutes or longer to process and upload your video. Especially if your session was over 60 minutes long. Your dashboard will be on the "Test in Progress" page while you wait. It may be a while before you can view new tests on the Available Tests Tab.
Payment for a Live Conversation will appear on your dashboard within 7 days of completing your session.
Because there are extra steps that you need to go through in order to take a Live Conversation, payment is typically $30 for 30 minutes and $60 for 60 minutes. If you show up late, your payment may be reduced. If you completely miss the session and did not give 24 hrs cancellation notice, your payment will be voided, you will receive a 1 star rating, and you may be removed from the panel.
- Be available. Keep an eye on your inbox, in case there are updates. Don’t sign up for a Live Conversation if your schedule is tight. If something is preventing you from joining a session, send an email to the person you’ve been communicating with or contact Support.
- Be patient. You or the moderator may hit some technical glitches when sharing your audio and video. This doesn't happen often but, if it does, we appreciate your patience and flexibility. You can also always reach out to support via the chat button on your dashboard if you need help.
- Be honest. A Live Conversation will earn you more money than you make with an usual test, and it’s tempting to misrepresent yourself in order to take part in the study. Avoid that temptation. A Live Conversation is more time consuming for both you and the customer. If you don’t truly qualify for the Live Conversation you won't get paid, will receive a 1-star rating, and may be removed from the panel.
- Be prepared. Don’t be afraid to reach out with questions or concerns if anything is unclear to you. Please read all available documentation beforehand. Knowing how to join the Live Conversation and use Zoom will make everything run smoothly.
- Be considerate. We know that you are probably on a personal computer or mobile device. Be sure to hide or minimize any sensitive materials on your screen, and consider using an “incognito” window or an alternate browser to keep your browsing history private.