You may have received a URL inviting you to participate in a user study for a company interested in getting your feedback. Providing honest feedback will help the company better understand what people are looking for and what they are experiencing on a website, app, or other digital product.
How it works
To participate in the study, you’ll be asked to install a browser extension, or an app if you’re completing the test on a mobile device. The UserTesting platform supports “talk out loud” studies, which means that everything that you are viewing on your device and everything you provide as verbal feedback is recorded. When you begin the study, you'll be prompted to download the recorder to your device.
Starting the study
Tips before you begin:
• When you’re ready to begin the study using the URL you were provided, make sure you’re in a quiet place.
• If you’re completing your session on a laptop, make sure you have a mic plugged into your device. A mic must be plugged in to start the study, to ensure that the recording is clear and audible. (You will receive an error message if a mic is not detected.)
• However, it’s better not to use a headset when doing your session on a mobile device.
• Disable anything that might disrupt the recording process, including ad blockers, corporate firewalls or anti-virus software.
• It’s a good idea to exit out of any other app or program you may have running in the background before beginning.
• Make sure your browser is not in full screen mode.
• Close down any tabs or background materials that you do not want recorded. Finally, studies will typically take 15-30 minutes. Make sure you have enough time to complete the study uninterrupted from start to finish. (If completing the study on a mobile device, you should have at least
Desktop Invite Network Tips
- You’ll need to install the UserTesting Chrome browser extension for desktop testing
- Make sure you have the latest version of Chrome.
- If you don’t have the Chrome browser, you will be directed to download and use a different recorder.
- Make sure you have a mic connected to your computer following the extension installation, before you open the recorder.
- If you run into issues with the installation process, refresh your browser or shut down and then reopen the browser. If this doesn’t work, try to uninstall and reinstall the recorder.
- Make sure your microphone is plugged in and make a recording from here: https://screencast-o-matic.com/. Listen to the recording to make sure you can hear yourself
- Make sure your Hard Drive has at least 10 GB of free space
- Make sure you’re directly connected to the internet on your desktop/laptop or WiFi on your mobile device
- Disable ad-blocking software or extensions for the duration of the test
Mobile Network Invite Tips
- You'll be prompted to download the UserTesting Engage app from the app store
- Make sure battery is above 20% and that your phone is plugged in and charging.
- iOS 9 or higher installed on your iPhone or iPad, you can test on any of the following devices:
- iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, and SE
- iPad 3, 4 or iPad Air or iPad Air 2
- iPad Mini or Mini 2
- Android OS 5.0 or higher
- At least 400MB of available space on your device
- For Android phones, make sure to close out of all extra programs before starting tests
- To avoid upload problems, we strongly recommend that you connect to a Wi-Fi network when you upload your completed test. Wi-Fi is faster and more reliable.
What's being recorded?
By participating in the study, your voice and screen will be recorded only during the session. We cease collecting any information after the session ends. We do not record your mouse clicks or keystrokes. We do not access your files or monitor anything from your device. You were contacted to complete the study because a company is interested in learning more about how you use their products, as well as any challenges you may experience and preferences that have not been addressed. They are not assessing you and your feedback is used solely for research purposes.
However, if in the context of the study you feel uncomfortable, you have the option of pausing the study. You can also opt to stop the session and nothing will be processed.
After the test you can easily uninstall our software. However, if you leave it installed it won’t do anything. And leaving it installed makes it easier for you to participate in a future study session, if you are asked or choose to do so.